YA recomendations

Monday, May 2, 2011

"Ascension"

 This is a review for "Ascension" by Sable Grace. This book is an adult paranormal romance and suggested for readers 18 and older.

http://www.amazon.com/Ascension-Breed-Novel-Sable-Grace/dp/0061964409/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1304317275&sr=8-6

  I loved this book. There was never a dull moment with the non stop action and romantic friction causing all the right kind of tension I expect in a good book. Though "Ascension" would have been much better categorized as Urban Fantasy, the romance was certainly present.
  The writers have created a world where all things myth and legend exist. It fit together seamlessly, all of the mythical creatures co-existing to produce a completely original story. I mean God's, Vampyre's, Werewolves, and zombies? Who knew the greatness of all these legendary creatures could fit so well into 374 pages?
  I really liked all of the characters but my favorite had to be Kyana. Her endless quips had me laughing out loud, drawing attention from the people around me at Starbucks- my favorite place to read. - At one point the woman across from me commented
 "Wow, that must be a really good book"
 If it hadn't been a questionably appropriate part I would have re-read the scene for her out loud. The delicious picture would have had the older woman's face burning and would have sent her scrambling to cover her granddaughter's ears.
  There were plenty of twists and turns to keep me guessing until the very end. A certain revelation had me falling off of my couch in pleasant shock. I still giggle about it when I think back.
  I am anxious to see the reaction of all of the characters to the finale twist in the end as well as the character development throughout the rest of the series. 
  The end left me pining after the next installment, eager to have all of my lingering questions answered and excited to visit again.
  My only complaint is the confusion I felt when the Point of View would switch because there was no warning that this would happen. One minute we would be in Kyana's head and then next Ryker's. When I figured out that the POV had switched, I would have to go back and re-read those few sentences. A larger space between the paragraph's indicating a POV switch would have been helpful.
  In all a very minor negative compared to so many positives in this fantastic debut. Buy this book, you will not be disappointed.

Happy reading,
B.

No comments:

Post a Comment